Saturday, October 18, 2008

Seismic Shift Time

If you've followed along, you've noticed that this summer has been one of seismic shifts for me. It's almost like I experienced conversion again, not just in any small way, but a seismic move of the Spirit like I experienced in Germany when I finally repented of my sin of being in the closet and denying myself before God. I haven't felt the Holy Spirit moving so strongly in me since that time. I have noticed that I am coming into my own as a disciple again. As I do reading, books that don't come from any particular reading list, just ones that pop out at me from various suggestions from friends, or things that draw me at the bookshop, I feel like it is a providential revelation.
As I've said before, I've noticed now that I don't jive with the "liberal" establishment of the Church, the Spongs, the Borgs, the Crossans of the Church. Neither do I jive with the fundamentalists. I find that my faith jives with John Stott, N.T. Wright, the so called "open evangelicals". As I've read and studied, I also can more comfortably identify as an evangelical (to the horror of some of my friends). I've come to a place where I can trust God's Word and God's will for my life and the life of the Church. As I have grown in my trust of God, my worship and prayer has become deeper and more powerful. As I agonize in prayer for the gay community and for those who are hurting, I feel ever closer to God.

These words only barely express the tip of the iceberg of the transformation that I'm experiencing because of the Gospel. As I write this, I'm almost crying in thanks to God for the wonderful work He is doing. Praise the Lord! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

No comments: