Friday, September 5, 2008

Monastic Menagerie

For the past three days I've been staying at Mt. Calvary Monastery in Santa Barbara. It's a beautiful place aesthetically, but spiritually, it is even more beautiful. I know that the Lord reveals things to us when we need them. That has been especially true during my time here at Mt. Calvary. This place is really Church as it perhaps ought to be. Here I've encountered liberal Episcopalians, non-Christians, conservative evangelicals, Lutherans, and all manner of people, but they all pray together and eat together. I've had some of really awesome conversations here. I learned lots from people and people learned from me, especially because many of the mainliners haven't really encountered someone like me - that is a gay evangelical anglo-catholic. It's a bit perplexing to them, but once they realize that I'm not a seething fundamentalist, things smooth a bit.

I've had lots of time to ponder, and special times with the monastics as well as others who also happened to be on private retreat during this time. Indeed it is an awesome ministry to be able to work in your own context (for example, I had a goal of reading 3 books, which I did in three days, actually I came out ahead of schedule), yet there is also time to sit and enjoy the beautiful sunrise or sunset, and time to talk with others. This is another one of those times when I am reassured of the existence of the Holy Spirit because of what happens here. This morning, apparently, a crew from Westmont College, an evangelical liberal arts college, come for Friday Lauds and Eucharist and have breakfast (at an Episcopal monastery nonetheless). Something's afoot in the world and I'm glad to be part of it.

Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum

Ian

No comments: