Saturday, July 5, 2008

Lay Down Your Monkey

It seems that as we journey on the path of Discipleship, we often worry about how we’re doing. Sometimes we wonder why our resolutions don’t pan out. We ask ourselves: Why although I want to do the right thing, I sometimes end up doing the wrong thing? This seems to be the monkey on our backs. So today we’re going to learn a little bit about that monkey and why we ought to pay attention to it, and also why we ought to lay it down.

First, we need to understand that the monkey can be a good thing. It is the conscience of the Holy Spirit. In Romans 7:14 we encounter something that appears to be contradictory to what we’ve heard Paul say before in Chapter 6. He says: “but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin” (Rom. 7:14). Actually this reflects our human condition. We have to remember, that like everyone else we are subject to inner rebelliousness. It graphically points out that all of us often fail to meet the radical demands of the Gospel. It also points to the fact that sin is persistent and will be with us always. We must understand that the struggle is also perpetual.

Paul says: “For I have the desire to do good, but I cannot carry it out” (Rom. 7:18). Doesn’t this sound familiar? Haven’t we all said something like this to ourselves? But we must remember that by virtue of the fact we are believers, something else has happened. We understand that the struggle against sin in our lives is war. As Paul put it: “For in my inner being, I delight in God’s law; but I see another work in me waging war against the law of my mind making me a prisoner [of sin]” (Rom. 7:22-23). It is the opposing force to our love and devotion for our God. We must be aware of it. This is beneficial because it not only helps us to grow as disciples. Conviction of sin helps us to realize the blessing we have all received through the death of our Lord on the Cross and His glorious resurrection on Easter Sunday. In the last verse of today’s reading, we read “Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Rom. 7:25).

Now, back to that monkey, although it has an important function, it really tends to get the best of us. It makes us worry too much about whether we are doing all the right things or being at the right places. Paul, being a former Pharisee and Jewish legal scholar was probably scrupulous at obeying the Law of Moses. It must have been very difficult for him to realize that he messed up and did something wrong. Just like us today, often we get bogged down with the “legal” requirements of Christianity. So now, we need to put down our monkey. Jesus invites us: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest” (Mt. 11:28). The path of discipleship is not meant to be impossible, it is not meant to be insurmountable. Jesus invites us on that path today. So put down your monkey.

Jesus invites us to a fulfilling life of obedient service to him. No it’s not going to be an easy life, but the teachings of Christ are easy and there we can find rest from our worries and our troubles. Jesus says: “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart ad you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Mt. 11:29-30). Won’t you put down your monkey today and hear what God has to say in your life?

No comments: